Tropical Science Center
We are the Tropical Science Center, a pioneer organization that has 54 years of investigating and making proposals that facilitate the coexistence between human beings and the tropical forests. In this way we lead the conservationist focus that today distinguishes Costa Rica.
These are some of our footprints:
- We created the Life Zone System that today orients the planification of land use and allows for the projection of the consequences of climate change.
- We are part of the team that contributed the technical basis for the creation of several of Costa Rica’s National Parks.
- We were the first to conduct Studies of Environmental Impact (EIA) for Arenal hydroelectric project and the Braulio Carrillo Highway.
- We made the first Environmental Profile of Costa Rica.
- We contributed studies and calculated costs for the “Exchange debt for nature” and the “Payment for Environmental Services” (PSA).
- We have provided environmental education for 24 years in Monteverde, Perez Zeledon, Buenos Aires, Coto Brus and Cerro Punta de Panama.
- We affected in the repeal of the law of interoceanic oleo duct.
- We participated in a global investigation (with 28 more experts), published in the Global Change Biology Magazine (2015), that demonstrates that climate change is not gradual, but drastic, for which the Cloud Forest of Costa Rica could soon disappear./li>